I am honored to be a Board Member of the People-Centered Research Foundation (PCRF). In March 2017, Dr. Robert Califf, Chairman of the Board of Directors, released a letter announcing the establishment of the Foundation. Recently, the Foundation announced the appointment of our new Executive Director, Kathy Hudson, PhD.
The Foundation is “committed to accelerating people-driven research that is faster, more user friendly for patients and providers, and less costly.” Additionally, PCRF’s Mission is “to engage patients, families, research participants, clinicians, scientists, and health system leaders in the design, conduct, dissemination, and implementation of research and analysis that leads to improvements in the health and well-being of individuals and populations and the performance of health care delivery systems.”
As stated on the PCRF website:
“The PCRF was established to sustain and expand a national network for clinical research that originated with funding from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) and studies conducted by The National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network (PCORnet). PCORnet has led the way to transform the culture of clinical research by creating a system driven by the shared needs of people and their families, communities, clinicians, and health system leaders. We are ensuring PCORnet’s vision and unprecedented work continue.”
The PCRF Board is comprised of the following individuals:
- Richard Bankowitz, MD, MBA, FACP, Executive Vice President, Clinical Affairs, America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
- Josephine P. Briggs, MD, Director, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
- Marc M. Boutin, JD, Chief Executive Officer, National Health Council (NHC)
- Robert Califf, MD, former FDA Commissioner and Professor of Cardiology at Duke
- Donna Cryer, President and CEO of the Global Liver Institute
- Craig Lipset, MPH, Head of Clinical Innovation, Global Product Development, Pfizer
- Reed Tuckson, MD, FACP, Managing Director of Tuckson Health Connections
- Joanne Waldstreicher, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Johnson & Johnson
Learn more about the PCRF and the exciting work that we’ll be engaged in to advance the voice of the patient in clinical trials.